So you want to know the Police Scotland Interview questions? We have compiled a list of common questions asked in the Police Scotland interview, to help you pass the interview.
These interview questions are only suggestions, and you should not depend on these being asked in the interview process. It is essential you take time to learn the competency framework and values of Police Scotland, to give you the greatest chance of passing the interview.
About The Police Scotland Interview
The Police interview is nothing like you would have experienced before. You won’t need to impress them with excellent examples or experiences; you need to be concise and hit the marks they are looking for.
What are these I hear you ask? The interviewers will have a marking sheet with the points to hit for each question. With each question comes a score which they will use for a pass mark. Generally, these marks are descriptors of the competencies or values.
Ensuring you hit the competency or value descriptors will give you the best chance of success through the interview. You need to get into the mindset of hitting the descriptors instead of trying to impress the interviewers.
Whilst the interview can be a nerve-racking and scary thought, the officers or Police staff who interview you, are genuinely there to help.
If they see you struggling they may ask the question in a different way or provide some help to jog your memory. They are aware of how nervous you may be. At the end of the day, Police Scotland needs more officers, and if you fit the bill, they will want you to succeed.
Let’s get on to the questions then! We have split it into three sections: competency questions, Value questions, and Motivation questions. Most commonly a motivational question will be asked first, to help break the ice, ease you into the interview and get you talking. It will be followed by value and competency questions.
3-in-1 Ultimate Guide
Our 3 guides in 1 – Practice exam papers, Fitness Guide and Recruitment Guide. Everything you need for the recruitment process.
Test Practice Papers
Created alongside Strathclyde Police and the Scottish Government, with 4 Practice Papers – it’s the closest you can get to the real thing.
Recruitment Fitness Guide
Created by a leading PT in the UK. Covering the new 2023 fitness test with a complete training plan for the Fitness Test and for Police Life.
What questions will I be asked in my police interview?
Motivational Interview Questions
- What is the role of a police officer and their duties?
- Why do you want to become a Police officer?
- What each division contains like what kind of units?
Police Scotland Value Interview Questions
- What are Police Scotlands Standards of Professional Behaviour?
- Tell me what the code of ethics is and what they mean to you?
Police Scotland Competency Interview Questions
- Why is it important for Police Scotland to work with other agencies?
- What skills and experiences do you have that you feel would aid you in the role of a police officer?
- Why is it important to be emotionally aware?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with diversity?
- Tell me about a time you had to share your knowledge with others?
- Tell me about a time you had to deal with a stressful situation?
- Tell me about a time you had to take us on responsibility/job that nobody else wanted?
- Tell me about a time when you have had to show empathy towards someone?
- Tell me about a time when you had a deadline and you had to prioritise and how you did it?
- Tell me about a time when you had to take on a task that no one else wanted?
- Tell me what diversity and equality mean to you?
- What are the 9 characteristics of diversity/equality and which legislation do they come under?